I’m a scruffy semi-bearded man who takes photographs of everyday things, usually wearing boots, baffling t-shirts and a hat. I often get puzzled looks from people: “Why is that man taking a photo of a wall?”. I don’t mind.
I expect to be reported as a terrorist at some point if this stupid campaign spreads from London to Manchester: “That man is taking pictures of a bus shelter! Call the police!” That’s something I do mind.
* Petition to clarify the laws surrounding photography in public places
* Flickr spoof of the Met Police poster
* Birmingham police officer ‘forced press photographer to delete images
* Free Download - The UK Photographers Rights Guide
* London’s Spitalfields market: shoot the architecture, we take away your camera
Update: Austin Mitchell MP (a keen photographer himself) is going to raise this issue with the Home Office. More at BoingBoing.net. It’s probably worth sending a letter or email to your local MP.